This project is read-only.

Issues difficult to reproduce

Topics: General
Apr 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Okay, after some time using the Roslyn End User Preview, I am hitting quite annoying things that are not that easy to reproduce, like missing intellisense or unreadable color combinations.
Also local variables are often not included in the autocomplete list. I believe such issues must be widely encountered and will be just fixed without any special reports, right?

I also have some rare language issues, for example, I was allowed to call a method with out parameters without declaring the receiving variables first (and without using out MyType value syntax), or, the compiler does not complain using an unitialized struct with fields (like MyStruct value = CreateFrom(value)), but I cannot reproduce this in simple new projects. Are there any tricks I can use to track these issues down?
Apr 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Also the Edit and continue does not seem really reliable, I get Visual Studio crashes, references load failures or random type load failures (even Could not load type 'Invalid_Token.0x02000000' from assembly, HResult=-2146233054)... whether 32-bit or 64 bit does not make any difference.
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Re: Edit and Continue - make sure you are not using any C# or VB preview features in the solution, such as primary constructors, property initializers, etc. EnC is not implemented for these features except for exception filters. If you still get crashes or unexpected behavior, please file a bug. If you can share your source code, please include it in the bug. It would indeed help us a great deal if you could reduce the repro to a small project. Thanks!
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Re: Edit and Continue - okay that might the problem, I am using both primary constructors and declaration expressions in the file. Thanks for explanation!
Apr 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Another issue that appears at one point but not in a new project is the confused Step Into Specific feature, which steps into wrong method (too soon). Could the new features influence this as well?
May 7, 2014 at 6:17 AM
Yes, it is possible. We haven't spent much time polishing the debugging side of the features since they change often.