Deploying changes to Visual Studio 14 CTP?

Topics: General
Jul 28, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Edited Jul 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM
I can emit functioning executables without diagnostic errors referencing my custom built Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.dll, but I can’t find a way to test it within Visual Studio.

I’ve tried replacing the paths/environment variables in <clone dir>\Src\Tools\Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Toolset.Open\Scripts\Prepare.bat and in the CompilerPackageFiles project, as well as renaming the hives because the hive names seemed to be inconsistent, but starting up the CompilerPackage project will always start a VS instance with the standard Roslyn modules loaded.

I’ve also tried to just overwrite the binary biles in C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies, but it makes Visual Studio crash upon loading C# projects.

Anybody succeeded to deploy changes to any version of the Visual Studio 14 CTP?
Jul 30, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM
No matter how I try to disable strong name verification for Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Desktop,31bf3856ad364e35, attempting to launch a custom-built VBCSCompiler.exe will always fail with

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Desktop, Version=0.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)

I've run the command sn -Vr Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Desktop,31bf3856ad364e35 for every sn.exe I could find in the MicrosoftSDK directories (2 x86 and 1 x64 executables), in addition to running the command in the Visual Studio 14 command prompt. They always appear to run successfully, but launching VBCSCompiler fails due to name validation regardless. I have no previous experience with strong name validation issues, if someone has an idea how this could be overcome please share.
Sep 17, 2014 at 3:16 AM
I realize this is old but if it helps, I had the same issue (even after running the fixed prepare.bat). I'm on the Releases/Dev14CTP3 branch.
It worked when I ran both the 64bit and 32bit sn.exe by hand with: sn -Vr *,31bf3856ad364e35
The different versions are located in %WindowsSDK_ExecutablePath_x86% and %WindowsSDK_ExecutablePath_x64%, as used in Prepare.bat

However I still am unable to deploy changes to VS 14 CTP3 at all. Has anyone solved this, by chance?
I've made some (sloppy) changes to allow overloading the assignment operator in C# for an experiment, and csc.exe works perfectly and indeed I can overload the assignment operator with no issue. The patch works, but I'd really like to get it into Visual Studio proper so I can actually use it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Bueller...?
Sep 21, 2014 at 4:01 AM
I'll tell you what the problem is -- not this specific problem, but why the source dump is so broken that it doesn't even build out-of-the-box.

Send me an email -- click on my username, then click on Contact. You've got e-mail turned off in your profile, so I can't send you email. You'll need to use your real email address, or I won't be able to reply.