This project is read-only.

Discussions under VB Language Design

Please see the language topics for design notes and discussion on potential new features, the APIs topic for questions and discussion on all API layers, and the General topic for all else.  As the need arises over time, coordinators can create new topics.

See the Questions, Comments, and Feedback page to see where the team discusses features, how to file bugs, etc.

Changes to the language feature set

first post: madst wrote: Hi all, As we enter the final stage in our long quest to renew th...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: Just to note, Roslyn has been moved to GitHub and all conversations...

Expand Caller Info Attributes

first post: Halo_Four wrote: The current batch of caller info attributes supported in C# 5.0 and...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: Note that all discussions have moved over to Github. I reposted th...

String Interpolation for C# (v2)

first post: nmgafter wrote: String Interpolation for C# (v2) An interpolated string is a way to...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: We are no longer using codeplex for Roslyn. Please take the discuss...

answered by: nmgafter wrote: This draft reflects some proposed changes. __It is not yet the cons...

string interpolation: proposed design changes

first post: nmgafter wrote: String Interpolation for C# An interpolated string is a way to cons...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: The Roslyn team no longer uses this site. Your comments are most we...

answered by: nmgafter wrote: String Interpolation for C# An interpolated string is a way to cons...

F# Type Providers in C#?

first post: Ncage1974 wrote: I've always yearned for type providers in c#/vb.net since they were...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: The Roslyn team no longer uses this site. Your comments are most we...

Fix opcodes from vb compiler when initialize an array and function local variant, jump invoke and delegate invoke.

first post: richter03 wrote: Hi guys, I want to point out some flaw opcodes that vb compiler cr...

latest post: richter03 wrote: Thank you, nmgafter; I'm create an issue at https://github.com/dotn...

Enum and Delegate as Generic Type Constraints Proposal

first post: Halo_Four wrote: Enum and Delegate Generic Type Constraints Proposal I'm going to tr...

latest post: paulhickman wrote: I just encountered a real world use case: My generic class uses th...

String Interpolation: Will interpolation with pluralization be handled?

first post: jgill wrote: It was pointed out to me that C# 6.0 is headed towards using an int...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: **lwischik wrote:** > I think that the resource editor (.resx files...

New language features in VB14

first post: lwischik wrote: New Language Features in Visual Basic 14 Lucian Wischik and Anthony...

latest post: johnmoreno wrote: **Halo_Four wrote:** > I would expect #today# or #now# to refer to ...

VB 14 and Xamarin Mobile Cross Platform Development

first post: NetRebel wrote: From the .Net Future summary http://www.microsoft.com/net/netfutu...

tggg

first post: bennoyer wrote: ggg

Rosyln for VB6 :)

first post: MarkWalls wrote: I understand the pressures to push all of us into the .NET world, a...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: **AdamSpeight2008 wrote:** > I think Microsoft should opensource th...

Null-propagating operator ?.

first post: lwischik wrote: Null propagating operator ?. The ?. operator is the second-highest ...

latest post: supercat wrote: **mirhagk wrote:** > You can already do something similar with exte...

answered by: lwischik wrote: Thank you for all the discussion, everyone. The C# Language Design ...

Template Functions & Template Masks

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Template Functions Template Functions will allow you return the exp...

latest post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Found a way to do Template Functions (kind of) in C#6 via String In...

Limited return-type overloading

first post: supercat wrote: C# requires that method overloads be determined entirely by argumen...

nameof operator - v5

first post: lwischik wrote: nameof operator: spec v5 The nameof(.) operator has the form nameof...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: **lwischik wrote:** > Another TODO item: > https://roslyn.codeplex....

VB LDM 2014-04-16

first post: lwischik wrote: #Warning Disable REQUEST Please add #pragma to VB so we can suppres...

latest post: lwischik wrote: # Update: VB LDM 2014.07.01 We re-visited #Disable Warning. The su...

Breakpoint Diagnostics

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: This topic is to further a discussion on another thread, as not to ...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: **AdamSpeight2008 wrote:** > This topic is to further a discussion ...

Attributes for anonymous and state machine methods

first post: darkman666 wrote: With async/await and LINQ anonymous methods and state machine metho...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: We currently make a point to copy the DebuggerHidden attribute, but...

VB LDM - interface ambiguity

first post: lwischik wrote: Back-compat break with interface implementations High-level summary...

latest post: lwischik wrote: VB LDM 2014.10.08 Gosh this is difficult. In trying to replicate th...

nameof spec v4

first post: lwischik wrote: This is v4 of the spec for the "nameof" operator. [v1, v2, v3). v1...

latest post: supercat wrote: **Halo_Four wrote:** > I agree that there is value in being able to...

answered by: lwischik wrote: I've started a new thread with v5 of the nameof spec. Let's move co...

nameof: proposed design changes

first post: lwischik wrote: We've been reconsidering some details about the "nameof" operator. ...

latest post: lwischik wrote: Based on feedback, I've produced v4 of the "nameof" spec. I started...

answered by: lwischik wrote: Based on feedback, I've produced v4 of the "nameof" spec. I started...

String interpolation

first post: lwischik wrote: String interpolation String interpolation is one of the top ten req...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: Please see https://roslyn.codeplex.com/discussions/570292 for a rev...

answered by: nmgafter wrote: Please see https://roslyn.codeplex.com/discussions/570292 for a rev...

C#/VB Language Design Meeting notes - 2014-10-01

first post: lwischik wrote: There were two agenda items... Assignment to readonly autoprops in...

latest post: lwischik wrote: **supercat wrote:** > An `out` parameter is really a `ref` paramete...

Generalize Expression<TDelegate> to just Expression<T>

first post: Olmo wrote: Currently C# is able to generate expression trees automatically for...

latest post: Olmo wrote: Well, in the current design `LambdaExpression` is abstract and `Exp...

VB LDM 2014-02-10

first post: lwischik wrote: VB Language Design Meeting 2014-02-10 Strict Module C# lets you hav...

latest post: lonewolfcj wrote: Anthony, Good to hear. I was referring to the original post which ...

answered by: lwischik wrote: VB Language Design Meeting 2014-02-10 Strict Module C# lets you hav...

VB LDM 2014-04-23 - pattern-matching and primary constructors

first post: lwischik wrote: (this discussion happened in VB language design meeting, but it str...

latest post: juliusfriedman wrote: I proposed a tail return as well as a recursive keyword well before...

TryParseOrDefaultTo

first post: HornerG wrote: I have of late been wondering why the framework hasn't got a method...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: **HornerG wrote:** > I would personally love to see this as an addi...

Please consider struct Guid<T>

first post: StewartScottRoger wrote: public struct Guid<T> : GuidGeneric, IFormattable, IComparable, ICo...

latest post: TheJayMann wrote: I also would like to see unit of measure support in the C# (and pos...

answered by: Olmo wrote: We also have some similar construct. It's called Lite but has some ...

(Concept) Copycat params.

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Option 1 The parameters following the first with a type, have the s...

latest post: supercat wrote: I don't like #1, but #2 could be helpful. One advantage of #2 over...

Pseudo-Inheritance

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Pseudo-Inheritance Let's inherit from a structure or maybe sealed c...

latest post: AlgorithmsAreCool wrote: **AdamSpeight2008 wrote:** > Is addition on double atomic? Short a...

Code Contract (Language Support)

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Code Contract (Language Support) Suppose Code Contracts were expli...

latest post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Extending the Object base class, could lead to some interest possib...

Extended anonymous types

first post: codefox wrote: Sometimes, there are needs to create anonymous type, as extension o...

latest post: supercat wrote: I think it's important to distinguish that "extending" a type can h...

Overridable Default Values For Null?

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Separate discussion of a topic raised in Non Nullable Reference typ...

latest post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: ` We are only talking about variables and collections that contain...

Backward Compatibility of .NET Compiler Platform Preview for Visual Studio 2014

first post: jerriclynsjohn wrote: I'm using .NET Compiler Platform (Roslyn) Preview for Visual Studio...

latest post: jerriclynsjohn wrote: I'm not clear on this topic. Is it safe to say that the compilers a...

answered by: jmarolf wrote: As Pilchie said, we are currently focused on VS 2014 and have no p...

Expected Global line

first post: agurukumar wrote: I have done the following... Step 1: VB.Net project developed in V...

Please consider class String<T> : StringValue

first post: StewartScottRoger wrote: class String<T> : StringValue where T : StringValueDescriptor, new(...

latest post: markrendle wrote: **StewartScottRoger wrote:** > > Now that I have framed why this n...

Fixed Buffers and Rudimentary Pointers

first post: sollapse wrote: I was wondering if there's any objections to implementing fixed buf...

Support type inference in Static variable declarations

first post: Shayan_To wrote: Now in Visual Basic, you can write: Dim A = New List(Of Integer)(...

latest post: supercat wrote: **ADGreen wrote:** > We shouldn't design the language based on the ...

Status of Compilation.CreateSubmission and VS2014 CTP

first post: lonewolfcj wrote: Today's NuGet drop of Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.VisualBasic 0.7.405230...

F#'s Type Providers in C#?

first post: gzak wrote: Historically, the previous versions of C# tackled huge problems wit...

latest post: supercat wrote: **Halo_Four wrote:** > If `Concat` still returned a new `IEnumerabl...

IDEA: IsAnyOf and IsNoneOf for TypeOf expression.

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: During my review and modification of the Visual Basic compiler sour...

VB LDM 2014-02-17

first post: lwischik wrote: VB Language Design Meeting 2014-02-17 ROLL-UP OF PROPOSED FEATURES...

latest post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: The ```When``` clause should bind to each ```caseClause``` and not ...

answered by: lwischik wrote: VB Language Design Meeting 2014-02-17 ROLL-UP OF PROPOSED FEATURES...

Meta Programming Feature Requests

first post: justinc wrote: Meta Programming Feature Request I would like to request the additi...

Attribute targets in VB

first post: ljw1004 wrote: Attribute targets in VB Request Please let me specify attribute tar...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: It does sound like field targeting is planned for C#: [Field-targe...

Pointer Handling

first post: NaxAlpha wrote: Hi, I want to give an idea of something advanced Sub Abc() ...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: **supercat wrote:** > **PauloMorgado wrote:** > > However, if inste...

Help us make Edit and Continue better!

first post: ADGreen wrote: CodePlex community members, The Visual Studio team would like you...

Call functions annotations

first post: codefox wrote: Today, calling function system is based on 'black box model', where...

latest post: supercat wrote: There are certainly some situations where it would be helpful to be...

More functional With .. End With

first post: codefox wrote: Two more With constructs: With expr IsNot Nothing ...

latest post: lonewolfcj wrote: @codefox I'm also interested to see how the null propagating operat...

Implement chainability to VB

first post: codefox wrote: Chainablity allow to streamline nested function calls and avoid to ...

latest post: codefox wrote: Chained expression could by very useful in aspx/ascx files, when mi...

Structured functions

first post: codefox wrote: Make new possibility to join functions with structures. This greatl...

latest post: codefox wrote: I suggest that compiler shold create structure GetCarResult or GetC...

Primary Constructors--focus on field initializers

first post: supercat wrote: A field declaration like private readonly Foo myFoo = new Foo(); ha...

latest post: supercat wrote: Olmo wrote: What problem this is trying to solve? Two main probl...

Narrow-If-Necessary and Clip-If-Necessary syntax and/or attributes

first post: supercat wrote: It is not uncommon in many projects for types which use float and i...

Checked and Unchecked code blocks

first post: Levente0xFFFC wrote: Checked and Unchecked code blocks are missing from VB but in C# the...

latest post: supercat wrote: **nmgafter wrote:** > If we do it for this upcoming release we'd al...

Assignment expressions that return value

first post: ehasis wrote: In the C# (and C-like languages) there is assignment expressions th...

latest post: ehasis wrote: I understand what you mean, and I think worth a discussion. Anyway...

Convenient floating-point math

first post: supercat wrote: With the present floating-point rules, it is often necessary for co...

latest post: supercat wrote: How often, when `int` is converted to `short`, is the `int` expecte...

[Possible Submission] - Allow the subject of a With Block to be referenced from within the block

first post: lonewolfcj wrote: VB Team, This is a feature request from a while back I submitted ...

latest post: supercat wrote: I shouldn't have used `(.)` with the `.`. operator directly (though...

Allow opt-out of My Namespace during project creation

first post: lonewolfcj wrote: DISCLAIMER - this may be a Visual Studio question but just in case....

latest post: lonewolfcj wrote: Fair point.

answered by: ADGreen wrote: Hey lonewolfcj, Visual Studio actually already includes the abilit...

Can late-bound access with Option Strict On finally be resolved?

first post: lonewolfcj wrote: Can this please get addressed once and for all? VB was clearly ahea...

latest post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Are the parameters to those functions also Dynamic or Object? Obj...

answered by: lwischik wrote: I prototyped exactly this, but I used the (reserved) keyword "Varia...

Introduce dialects to VB/C#

first post: codefox wrote: With open Roslyn, we may expect that multiple languages (specialize...

latest post: supercat wrote: **nmgafter wrote:** > When we introduce changes to the languages, w...

VB LDM 2014-03-12

first post: lwischik wrote: ProtectedAndFriend, ProtectedOrFriend BACKGROUND The CLI includes t...

I found a problem

first post: NaxAlpha wrote: What about this I got this in end user perview

latest post: ADGreen wrote: Hey NaxAlpha, Thanks for reporting this. How embarrassing! My gues...

Limitation of generic type constraint overloading

first post: lonewolfcj wrote: The scenario: Public MustInherit Class BaseA End Class ...

Type inference on lamdas passed to methods

first post: codefox wrote: Today we are use linq functions like: Dim list = New List(O...

Select statement with Type case clauses

first post: Levente0xFFFC wrote: I'm worried about the future of VB.NET. I saw the new language feat...

latest post: Levente0xFFFC wrote: Hi Mads, Thanks your detailed explanation, it makes much more sens...

answered by: ADGreen wrote: **madst wrote:** > Thanks for your comment! I agree with you that u...

Unsafe code blocks

first post: Levente0xFFFC wrote: This is already possible with C#, would be nice to have it in VB as...

latest post: ADGreen wrote: Levente, Every feature we add to either language must be weighed a...

answered by: ADGreen wrote: Levente, Every feature we add to either language must be weighed a...

Multiline comments

first post: Levente0xFFFC wrote: Already in C#, would be nice to use / ... / syntax in VB too.

latest post: ADGreen wrote: Hey Levente, As language designers we don't feel that it's respons...

answered by: ADGreen wrote: Hey Levente, As language designers we don't feel that it's respons...

Partial interfaces

first post: Levente0xFFFC wrote: Just because why not? It is already in C#

latest post: ADGreen wrote: Hey Levente, __VB Partial Interface (and Partial Module) support i...

answered by: ADGreen wrote: Hey Levente, __VB Partial Interface (and Partial Module) support i...

Extended Expressiveness of Generic Constraints

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Extended Expressiveness of Generic Constraints Let's say that non-n...

latest post: mdanes wrote: > but nothing to do with reflection costs. You've completely misse...

Complex Number Literals?

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Complex Number Literals? What about expanding the literals to inclu...

latest post: Timwi wrote: @AdamSpeight2008: svick understands your proposal completely; he kn...

Specification license

first post: Mosstraie wrote: Since Microsoft now offers open-source C# and VB compilers, I think...

latest post: Mosstraie wrote: Visual Basic is still not licensed.

• 1-71 of 71 discussions
    • Previous
    • Next