Roslyn End User Preview and Revision Control

Topics: General
Apr 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Edited Apr 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Florian.Says("Hello!");

I have a question regarding the Roslyn End User Preview in Visual Studio: After I installed the three VSIXes, I noticed that a lot of temporary files will be created within my solution: First, there is a directory created that is just named like the solution file with an .ide extension, and several files with cryptic names like "zdrq2opc.wn3" and "qzj3nai4.y5b", for example, are now in my sources directory. This wouldn't be as big a problem if it wouldn't mess up my Git repository as I don't want these files accidentally commited. I kind of solved the .ide directory issue by just setting to ignore it in my Git configuration, but that's not so easy to do for the files with the cryptic, random names.

Any solution or workaround?

Thanks, and keep up the good work! :)
Apr 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I just added the following to my .gitignore
# ignore the temp folder created by roslyn
*.ide/
That just ignores any of those folders ending with '.ide', sure it will be an issue if I call my project fooboo.ide but when is that going to happen :-) Then you don't need to worry about any of the files within that folder.
Apr 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Hi Erik,

thanks for your reply. I actually did just what you recommended for the .ide folder, that's solved. The actual problem I have are these weird files with random names (as described above) that appear within my sources directories (where the *.cs files live). Not sure if these have anything to do with Roslyn, but they never appeared before I installed it. Example project directory:
SomeClass1.cs
SomeClass2.cs
zdrq2opc.wn3
SomeClass3.cs
qzj3nai4.y5b
SomeClass4.cs
And it's really hard to filter these out as their names are completely random. Again, I'm not sure if it's Roslyn that is responsible here. Maybe some temp stuff that doesn't get deleted when finished and the solution is saved (?)