This project is read-only.

Make IFormattingRule/BaseFormattingRule public

Topics: APIs
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I want to create a new formatting rule that will put all my automatic properties in a single line, and that will work from a console formatting tool or from auto-format in VS. I can do that easily by compiling roslyn with IFormattingRule, BaseFormattingRule and intermediates as public, but with them being internal I can't Export them and include them in composition. Even though this is not a very mainstream case, being able to provide new formatters is really useful. Please consider making them public and available to use for extensions.
Nov 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM
What is the status of this?

We have demand to enforce formatting styles on our projects (including different formatting styles on different projects) and I was hoping that Roslyns formatting engine would be extensible, but right now it is not because the required interfaces and MEF attributes are internal. From reading the source I get the impression that the design of the formatting engine is not finalized (e.g. the comment on top of the AbstractFormatEngine). Will it be extensible at a later point (post VS 2015 I assume) or is this not even planned?