This project is read-only.

Discussions under General

Please see the language topics for design notes and discussion on potential new features, the APIs topic for questions and discussion on all API layers, and the General topic for all else.  As the need arises over time, coordinators can create new topics.

See the Questions, Comments, and Feedback page to see where the team discusses features, how to file bugs, etc.

New Year PVS-Studio 6.00 Release: Scanning Roslyn

first post: AndreyKarpov wrote: The long wait is finally over. We have released a static code analy...

WebSite Project support

first post: vni wrote: Currently Roslyn cannot handle Website projects, because there is n...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: Discussions have moved to https://github.com/dotnet/, https://githu...

Generics usage in extensions methods

first post: PavelBNovikov wrote: Hi all! I encountered interesting issue within types handling in C...

latest post: Pilchie wrote: Hi, note that Roslyn has moved to Github (http://github.com/dotnet/...

Collectible dynamic (assembly) modules

first post: worki wrote: Hi all, Our company has a .NET software program that is running du...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: There isn't necessarily a post about this on the GitHub issues, but...

answered by: Zarat wrote: Yes they removed that intentionally, including the whole scripting ...

Cannot test Roslyn

first post: emilm wrote: Hello I want to test Roslyn (especially the CSharp scripting compo...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: Discussions have moved to https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/ ...

Web API 2 Project - Godaddy Hosting, Roslyn CSC.exe group policy error

first post: MetanoiaSherman wrote: Hi there, I have recently just upgrade Visual Studio to 2015. I am ...

latest post: shmao wrote: MetanoiaSherman, the issue might be due to the fact that the VS 201...

To preview or not to preview

first post: mwpowellhtx wrote: I've known this was coming circa VS2015, but then I heard some rumb...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: As far as I know, it was never really supported on VS2013. Neverth...

Roslyn's performance

first post: xeno_by wrote: Hi everyone! From discussions here, it can be clearly seen that ...

latest post: robinsedlaczek wrote: Hi together! I wrote down all the knowledge I've collected regardi...

answered by: VSadov wrote: == Weak red subtrees. An interesting thing to note about red nodes...

Performance Unit Test for Solution Refactorings

first post: robinsedlaczek wrote: Hi together! Matt Gertz wrote together some interesting aspects m...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: "Roslyn" discussions moved to https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/

Compiling a string during runtime

first post: KirkBrackebusch wrote: I am looking for a way to dynamically add code at runtime. An exam...

latest post: PauloMorgado wrote: Discussions have moved to9 https://github.com/roslyn

reset debug enviroinment

first post: eriklieben wrote: Hi, Is there soms way to reset the debug environment? I kinda brok...

latest post: Wyco wrote: Hi there, Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but accordin...

Roslyn, the DLR and DSLs

first post: alanbourke wrote: Hi I understand how the .NET Compiler Platform affects analysis t...

latest post: emiliosantos wrote: Alan, Yikes! I moved the files to another project (Excess.Extensio...

Declarative Roslyn and Metaprogramming

first post: emiliosantos wrote: Hey guys, I thought I'd share my work on metaprogramming using Ro...

latest post: emiliosantos wrote: **Knat wrote:** > I think you may do a real-world metaprogramming e...

Enable .ast Files via Roslyn in Visual Studio

first post: MichaelDBang wrote: Hello Community, I just proposed a new idea for Visual Studio bas...

SemanticModel Problems -- Syntax node is not within syntax tree

first post: bburg89 wrote: I have a problem with SemanticModel while trying to use their GetSy...

latest post: jmarolf wrote: ParseFile is there for when you don't need anything other than synt...

generate reference to symbol

first post: tsadigov wrote: I am working on a refactoring. It generates a new class and I want ...

is the compiler portable

first post: mutasim wrote: I was wondering that if the compiler portable , as this compiler do...

Single vsix for both VB and C# Diagnostic Analysis

first post: jerriclynsjohn wrote: I wanted to know if it is possible to have both C# and VB rules be ...

latest post: sazim wrote: My reuirement is there will be several Refactoring DLLs (created w...

answered by: srivatsn wrote: > Does this mean that the compiler is loaded into the memory only o...

MetadataFileReference and Assembly not found in VS2015

first post: bburg89 wrote: I was trying to migrate several of my projects from VS2013 to VS201...

latest post: jmarolf wrote: I assume you are running is inside of a portable class library? In...

answered by: jmarolf wrote: we added factories to MetadataReference instead of having you creat...

Can't build samples

first post: jakewatkins wrote: I just installed VS 2015 Preview along with the Roslyn stuff as ins...

latest post: jakewatkins wrote: Thanks Kevin, I made a half hearted attempt and it didn't work. I...

Are the pdb files for Roslyn dlls available somewhere?

first post: sruppr wrote: Nuget will not install the pdb files for the dlls, the microsoft sy...

latest post: DavidKarlas wrote: I will open issue on Github ;)

VB 14 and Xamarin Mobile Cross Platform Development

first post: NetRebel wrote: From the .Net Future summary http://www.microsoft.com/net/netfutu...

Diagnostics do not get updated

first post: nvalchev wrote: Hello, I am writing an analyzer which report diagnostics for unused...

latest post: tmeschter wrote: Without knowing more about how your analyzer is structured it is ha...

Tracing & Logging

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: How to add tracing and logging to analysers? As you may not know I ...

C# 6 Interactive Playground

first post: tenor wrote: Hi all, I've upgraded CSharpPad.com to use the latest Roslyn bits...

latest post: Avi_Avni wrote: Why not open source?

sln.ide folder & GIT - exclude it and ignore all files?

first post: Pitterling wrote: Hi, how should i treat this Folder and Content within a Git Proje...

latest post: mdanes wrote: Yes, you certainly don't want that folder to end up in the reposito...

Am I able to refresh diagnostics on settings change in Roslyn

first post: nvalchev wrote: Let's say that I've created a diagnostic analyzer that shows warnin...

latest post: srivatsn wrote: Not the Initialize method but the actions that you register (for eg...

Roslyn as a T4 Replacement?

first post: MichaelDBang wrote: Hello Community, (I apologize if this information is readily avail...

latest post: MichaelDBang wrote: Hmmm... interesting. I'll check that out. Seems like there really...

Syntax Visualizer Extension Source Code.

first post: gooluck777 wrote: where to find syntax visualizer full source code for visual studio ...

latest post: akarpus wrote: Just use IlSpy and look at the source. * http://ilspy.net/ * Insta...

Exception in App Domain usage since VS2015

first post: jogibear9988 wrote: I got the following Exception A first chance exception of type '...

latest post: jogibear9988 wrote: I fixed it be creating a static method of the Lambda! But don't kno...

Using modified Roslyn bits against Visual Studio Previews

first post: MattGertz wrote: I'm creating this thread to create a more discoverable discussion a...

latest post: KevinRansom wrote: That's great news, if you wouldn't mind can you add an issue to the...

Metaprogramming: get your hands dirty

first post: Knat wrote: There is an old Chinese saying, 临渊羡鱼不如退而结网(better spinning than des...

latest post: Knat wrote: "Metah.W: A Workflow Metaprogramming Language" is an interesting C#...

Visual Studio 2015 Preview, Roslyn runtime error.! (“OpenSourceDebug” project)

first post: gooluck777 wrote: Visual Studio 2015 Preview, Roslyn runtime error.! (“OpenSourceDebu...

answered by: gooluck777 wrote: Visual Studio 2015 Preview, Roslyn runtime error.! (“OpenSourceDebu...

Apache License 2.0, and effect on code we build

first post: JohnDallman wrote: My employers' products are mathematical modelling libraries. These ...

Language Design Notes Archive

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: On a recent video (that I can't find), it was mentioned that the la...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: We've discussed it and in principle we'd like to do it. The only ob...

Dictionary Initializers - Real LIfe Usage

first post: Grokys wrote: Hello, Just thought you might want to know how the new C# 6 featu...

latest post: MgSam wrote: Agree; this is a cool project. Best of luck to you with it! I'd lov...

Create the output assembly when there are compilation errors

first post: erikkallen wrote: When refactoring a large codebase, you will occasionally get into s...

latest post: erikkallen wrote: **Halo_Four wrote:** > It is interesting conceptually. It seems li...

answered by: nmgafter wrote: erikkallen wrote: My idea is to create a compiler switch -errors-a...

Fixed Diagnostic Exception

first post: emiliosantos wrote: Hello Community, I've got a syntax node with diagnostics attached...

Pure values

first post: MariusUtheim wrote: I propose a way of explicitly declaring methods and classes as pure...

latest post: supercat wrote: If a structure semantically represents a fixed-sized collection of ...

Tutorial on how to create a new language service based on Roslyn services

first post: BlueCode wrote: C#, VB and TypeScript is now based on Roslyn and uses the new edito...

latest post: dsaf wrote: **BlueCode wrote:** > C#, VB and TypeScript is now based on Roslyn ...

Performance Improvement?

first post: MichaelDBang wrote: Hello Community, I am experimenting with Fody, Cecil, and Roslyn....

latest post: Knat wrote: The latest Roslyn nuget package is http://www.nuget.org/packages/Mi...

Rosyln for VB6 :)

first post: MarkWalls wrote: I understand the pressures to push all of us into the .NET world, a...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: **AdamSpeight2008 wrote:** > I think Microsoft should opensource th...

Thank you

first post: emiliosantos wrote: In the spirit of the holidays I wanted to thank the team for Roslyn...

Find method refs - up to date example

first post: RuffCoder wrote: Hello I installed the VS2015 preview and SDK today. My intention ...

latest post: RuffCoder wrote: I have found the samples - they are at Roslyn/Src/Samples/Samples.s...

What's official name of '?.' ?

first post: xin9le wrote: var length = person?.Name?.Length; This feature which is known as ...

latest post: dsaf wrote: Shouldn't the name given by the first inventor be used? So far I h...

'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.MetadataFileReference' is inaccessible due to its protection level

first post: danieladacruz wrote: Hi I am trying to get a semantic model for a syntax tree as sugge...

latest post: KathleenDollard wrote: Daniel, I just wanted to thank you. I encountered this and it sol...

answered by: danieladacruz wrote: I found the answer by myself: references: new[] { MetadataReferenc...

Checkout this GitHub project for helping C# 6.0 developers to adopt a more functional programming style

first post: KevinRansom wrote: This looks very cool, check it out and get involved. https://gith...

latest post: louthy wrote: For sure you will get flamed in the effort, however, the effort is...

Unable to install Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.EditorFeatures.Text from nuget

first post: MattWarren wrote: If I try to install it, I get the following error: PM> Install-Pack...

latest post: MattWarren wrote: @OmerRaviv2 thanks for doing that

What efforts are being made collaboratively between the Roslyn team and the F# team to bring a consistent development experience for all 3 primary .Net languages?

first post: HighCore wrote: I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching here in ...

latest post: KevinRansom wrote: The Roslyn language designers have a lot of work to do before they ...

Missing reference to System.Composition.CompositionContext

first post: jbe7339 wrote: After updating the NGet package from 0.7 to 1.0 Beta I get the foll...

latest post: jbe2277 wrote: Thank for your feedback. I will give it a try.

About rcode idea an roslyn

first post: SamNium wrote: Some time ago I worked on qinjection code plex projects based on ro...

Enable attributes on classes and methods to modify the AST before compiling

first post: ruwancw wrote: Is it possible to allow customer attributes (inherited from a given...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: We (at Sun Microsystems) designed and implemented "annotations" in ...

Roslyn access to CodeLens data?

first post: RonSijm wrote: Hey, I was wondering, how difficult would it be to expose the Cod...

latest post: MattGertz wrote: (Should have added that, for a "fix" that does nothing, it's OK to ...

ROSLYN BROKEN SINCE 3 MONTHS NOW

first post: Scynapse wrote: (CC of a public letter sent to Theo Yaung, also sent to people ment...

latest post: MattGertz wrote: Done -- new discussion is at https://roslyn.codeplex.com/discussion...

Open source infrastructure work going forward

first post: MattGertz wrote: Hi, all, As I've mentioned elsewhere, we're starting to work on ...

latest post: MattGertz wrote: The source code matching the new VS preview has been published. We...

Standardize C# and VB.NET

first post: codefox wrote: Latest standardized version is C# 2.0. If you want to better compet...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: **codefox wrote:** > @Halo_Four > Xamarin support C#5, but they had...

Example of extending C# with custom syntax powered by Visual Studio editor support?

first post: dsaf wrote: Hi, Is there a Roslyn sample that would demonstrate the following:...

latest post: JesperTreetop wrote: It seems to me that the next version of Visual Studio [is about to ...

What if I want to pass something into an attribute?

first post: Mahlzeit wrote: I think attributes are way too limiting. As a 3rd party developer I...

latest post: Mahlzeit wrote: Hm I guess that would be what my suggestion amounts to. The attribu...

Roslyn no longer available for VS2013?

first post: rmevans9 wrote: Hello Everyone! I was looking to install Roslyn for VS2013 to giv...

latest post: rmevans9 wrote: That is fair enough. Is there any way to get the last version that ...

How would I make more of this analysis Roslyn and less text parsing?

first post: ImaginaryDev wrote: F# version C# version it does what I want but seems more of it sh...

latest post: jmarolf wrote: Which version of visual studio do you have installed? To use the s...

Can roslyn be used to compile code in Windows 8 Apps ?

first post: roshan605 wrote: Hi, I want to know whether I can use Roslyn to compile windows 8 ...

latest post: jmarolf wrote: We don't have an API that exactly duplicates intellisense, but we d...

answered by: jmarolf wrote: Its certainly possible :) We have several apis you could use. Here...

does roslyn support incremental compilation?

first post: haliving wrote: hello, i'm trying to determine if roslyn can do incremental compi...

latest post: nmgafter wrote: haliving wrote: But surely I can emit only a method? For my resear...

switch to github

first post: jogibear9988 wrote: as more and more ms projects start on github, would this also be po...

latest post: lonewolfcj wrote: Take $10M from Satya's compensation plan this year and build a bett...

Reference source service

first post: JanKucera wrote: Hi, I wonder whether the http://referencesource.microsoft.com/ we...

latest post: JanKucera wrote: I see. I would be happy to use it even if not open sourced, but wel...

Implicitly typed fields

first post: nvivo wrote: Are there any plans for implicitly typed fields in C#? This kind ...

latest post: Halo_Four wrote: **nvivo wrote:** > Quick note: I just ran the code from @supercat i...

Open-Source "Enahnced source view"

first post: yannisgu wrote: The "Enhanced source view" (source.roslyn.codeplex.com) is really c...

latest post: JoshVarty wrote: So it's not really ready for primetime (It has 1/10th the features ...

Draft Perf Article

first post: billchi wrote: I'm posting a draft of an article I'll soon publish on MSDN, but it...

latest post: dpitsbawn wrote: Reddit brought me here (http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comment...

Race conditions with async Roslyn API

first post: Zarat wrote: Hi, I've got a question regarding the async APIs in Roslyn: is it a...

latest post: Zarat wrote: The question has been answered on the linked issue, seems to have b...

Latest Roslyn package failed with "Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Hosting.IAnalyzerHostObject.SetAdditionalFiles(Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITaskItem[])'"

first post: Vlad5Maxed wrote: Hi I created new console application. Install-Package Microsoft.Co...

latest post: Vlad5Maxed wrote: Please ignore it. It was fixed in CTP4

answered by: Vlad5Maxed wrote: Please ignore it. It was fixed in CTP4

Being new to GIT and Roslyn I have a problem debugging the Roslyn installation

first post: npolyak wrote: I tried to follow the instructions and installed the origin/release...

Awful translation into OS language in IntelliSense

first post: Sekktor wrote: I actually posted this question to connect.microsoft.com, but no an...

latest post: Sekktor wrote: Yes, "should", but doesn't. I have "English" in International Setti...

Roslyn.Services.Editor API's

first post: chekm8 wrote: I have an existing application that uses the 2012 version of the Ro...

latest post: jmarolf wrote: You can take a look at Src\Samples\Sample.sln for a list of all the...

Deploying changes to Visual Studio 14 CTP?

first post: sruppr wrote: I can emit functioning executables without diagnostic errors refere...

latest post: taoyue wrote: I'll tell you what the problem is -- not this specific problem, but...

Meta-programming case study

first post: Knat wrote: Hi Roslyn team, So far, Metah.W: A Workflow Metaprogramming Languag...

latest post: Knat wrote: Hi Kathleen, Metah is just a metaprogramming experiment, no intelli...

Please consider struct Guid<T>

first post: StewartScottRoger wrote: public struct Guid<T> : GuidGeneric, IFormattable, IComparable, ICo...

latest post: TheJayMann wrote: I also would like to see unit of measure support in the C# (and pos...

answered by: Olmo wrote: We also have some similar construct. It's called Lite but has some ...

Sample anaylzer code for Dev14/CTP3

first post: lwischik wrote: I wrote an sample analyzer for Dev14/CTP3/Roslyn. Thought it would ...

latest post: Expandable wrote: **lwischik wrote:** > Expeandable, I agree it should be more robust...

Diagnostics + MEF

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Suppose you want to write a diagnostic analyser the uses MEF so its...

Pseudo-Inheritance

first post: AdamSpeight2008 wrote: Pseudo-Inheritance Let's inherit from a structure or maybe sealed c...

latest post: AlgorithmsAreCool wrote: **AdamSpeight2008 wrote:** > Is addition on double atomic? Short a...

Adding AttributeTargets.Constructor to the ValidOn property of the AttributeUsageAttribute on AttributeUsageAttribute

first post: grahamdyson wrote: I'm using attributes to provide meta-data to generate c# by parsing...

state of code issues and actions?

first post: ImaginaryDev wrote: Is roslyn to a state where I can install it in the regular vs2013 h...

latest post: AlexTurnMSFT wrote: The VS 2013 End User Preview and SDK Preview of Roslyn were snapsho...

answered by: AlexTurnMSFT wrote: The VS 2013 End User Preview and SDK Preview of Roslyn were snapsho...

Refreshing Analyzers

first post: Maurici018 wrote: I have a project "A" that references the output of an "Analyzer" li...

latest post: Maurici018 wrote: I managed to find a workaround to the aforementioned issue, it is n...

What is SQM?

first post: AaronLS wrote: I see this abbreviation alot in Roslyn source. What does it stand ...

latest post: pharring wrote: Software Quality Metric It's used for telemetry gathering. It's th...

answered by: pharring wrote: Software Quality Metric It's used for telemetry gathering. It's th...

Classification does not exist in the namespace Microsoft.CodeAnalysis

first post: fahadash wrote: I downloaded the samples and SDK Preview, I got the above mentioned...

latest post: Pilchie wrote: We no longer support VS2012. Our most current work all targets the...

Roslyn Script Hosting Idea and Wish List

first post: sheehou wrote: I like Roslyn Script Engine. I am using Microsoft Roslyn CTP - Sept...

latest post: zeldafreak wrote: Just wanted to +1 this. ASP.NET vNext is already going this route w...

Can multiple .vsix with VB/C# Diagnostic Analyzer/CodeFix/AutoUpdate cause performance issue?

first post: jerriclynsjohn wrote: I'm implementing a system that will implement code quality as part ...

Roslyn as a portable class library

first post: JesperTreetop wrote: The compiler executables can't be portable, but is the goal that th...

latest post: mattwar wrote: Yes, that's where it's headed.

answered by: mattwar wrote: Yes, that's where it's headed.

Do Roslyn extensions run under VS 14 CTP2 ?

first post: sruppr wrote: Because of this thread https://roslyn.codeplex.com/discussions/5511...

Expected Global line

first post: agurukumar wrote: I have done the following... Step 1: VB.Net project developed in V...

Visual feedback for DiagnosticSeverity.Info

first post: vbfox wrote: Hi, there is actually no differences between DiagnosticSeverity.In...

Port Code-Diagnostic-With-Fix Project to Console-Application Project

first post: lindelof wrote: Hi Roslyn developers, Is there a good way to reuse code-diagnosti...

Can only build C# 5.0

first post: sruppr wrote: Whenever I try to emit a project I load in any way, I get diagnosti...

latest post: VSadov wrote: This is ByDesign. Features that may undergo design changes, possi...

answered by: VSadov wrote: This is ByDesign. Features that may undergo design changes, possi...

Generating/wrapping using block for a function in C#

first post: jasperpaul wrote: Hi, Is it possible to create a using statement and wrap it in an...

ConsoleClassifier sample app throws an exception

first post: Nahil wrote: I have installed VS 2014 CTP2 on a brand new Windows . When I run s...

latest post: Nahil wrote: I just wanted to confirm that the Roslyn Samples including Console...

Please consider class String<T> : StringValue

first post: StewartScottRoger wrote: class String<T> : StringValue where T : StringValueDescriptor, new(...

latest post: markrendle wrote: **StewartScottRoger wrote:** > > Now that I have framed why this n...

F# to become first class citizen?

first post: RobinHSanner wrote: I hear a lot of about the impact of Roslyn on C# and VB. What abou...

latest post: KevinRansom wrote: Or indeed you can ask the question the Visual fsharp team CodePlex ...

answered by: KevinRansom wrote: Or indeed you can ask the question the Visual fsharp team CodePlex ...

Allow easier mocking by implementing interfaces for Roslyn classes (eg. Document)

first post: salfab wrote: As of now, a Document object is not mockable with traditional mocki...

attempting to generate UML sequence diagrams

first post: s3Logic wrote: I would appreciate any criticism or advice anyone has to offer here...

latest post: s3Logic wrote: I haven't had time to do anything beyond what I did here: https://g...

answered by: s3Logic wrote: thanks.. I came up with a solution using FindReferencesAsync (see h...

Issues building Roslyn with VS Pro 14 CTP: VBCSCompiler.exe crashing

first post: 3llian wrote: I've been having issues building the latest Roslyn bits with VS Pro...

latest post: sruppr wrote: The devctp branch still references Microsoft.Net.ToolsetCompilers.0...

answered by: angocke wrote: OK -- the problem was that our compiler package was out of date for...

Solution Level Diagnostic

first post: lindelof wrote: I see Roslyn's diagnostic template mostly an editor-level tool. Tha...

latest post: ControlFlow wrote: Do you think this approach is scalable enough to be part of Roslyn ...

ModelExtensions.GetDeclaredSymbol locks files

first post: sruppr wrote: After I load a solution through MSBuildWorkspace, calling GetDeclar...